This one-day workshop, sponsored by the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, will focus on the challenges of moving advanced technologies from the academic lab to the marketplace. The event will convene various groups involved in this process to collaboratively identify and address key gaps. Attendees will:
- Discuss the early incorporation of evolving regulatory and policy requirements into leading-edge research.
- Formulate improved pathways and policies for medical innovation.
- Design a comprehensive roadmap to market.
Participants will include academic researchers and administrators, entrepreneurs, industry leaders, regulatory and policy representatives, investors, and funding agency officers.
Organized by AIMBE Fellows Drs. Karen Burg and Crystal Leach.
The workshop will be in the Madison Auditorium (in the Madison building at 600 Dulany Street, Alexandria, Virginia). Travel information may be found here and hotel information may be found here.
- Tanaga Boozer (United States Patent and Trademark Office)
- Victoria Dohnal (Biotechnology Innovation Organization)
- Elizabeth Dougherty (United States Patent and Trademark Organization)
- Jennifer Elisseeff (Johns Hopkins University)
- Yong Fan (A2Z Reg Solutions)
- Rosemarie Hunziker (former Tissue Engineering/Regenerative Medicine Program Director, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering)
- Peter Johnson (MedSurgPI)
- Ed Margerrison (Center for Devices and Radiological Health, U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- Peter Marks (Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- Richard McFarland (Advanced Regenerative Manufacturing Institute)
- Todd Merchak (National Institutes of Health Small Business Innovation Research)
- Bill Murphy (University of Wisconsin)
- Steven Oh (Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- Tony Ratcliffe (LifeNet Health)
- Kelley Rogers (National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals/National Institute of Standards and Technology)
- Jon Rowley (RoosterBio)
- Paul Sanberg (National Academy of Inventors/University of South Florida)
- Christine Schmidt (AIMBE President/University of Florida)
- Phil Weilerstein (VentureWell)
- Tiffany Wilson (Global Center for Medical Innovation)
- David Wise (Maryland Momentum Fund)
Workshop Steering Committee:
- Karen Burg (Committee Co‐Chair), University of Georgia
- Crystal Leach (Committee Co‐Chair), University of Georgia
- Tiffany Wilson (Committee Co‐Chair), Global Center for Medical Innovation
- Dorothy Abel, US Food and Drug Administration
- Taby Ahsan, RoosterBio Inc.
- Thomas Boland, University of Texas, El Paso
- Elizabeth Dougherty, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Cartier Esham, Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- Iris Marklein, University of Georgia
- Todd Merchak, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- Kyle Siegal, Skysong Innovations
- Šeila Selimović, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- TG Venkateshwaren, Merck & Company, Inc.
- Phil Weilerstein, VentureWell